Centring the voices of disabled LGBT+ young people in research: Ethical and methodological considerations.
Franklin, A., & Toft, A. (2020). Centring the voices of disabled LGBT+ young people in research: Ethical and methodological considerations. In: Toft, A. & Franklin, A. Young Disabled and LGBT+: Voices, Identities and Intersections. Routledge: London. ISBN: 9781032175607.
The book, ‘Young, Disabled and LGBT+’, brings together the work of an international team interested in exploring the intersection of sexuality, gender identity, and disability in the lives of young people and aims to further develop this area as a distinct area of study.
This chapter addresses the following ethical and methodological issues in this space:
• Accessing young disabled LGBT+ people.
• Whose voices are we hearing and who is still being silenced?
• Issues of consent and capacity.
• Issues concerning confidentiality and anonymity.
• Language, identity labels and issues of power within the research